Peres: I stopped attack on Iran. Statement concealed ‘til death.
Israel & Europe but not USA
Newsletter published on 1 Oktober 2016
(1) Peres: I stopped an Israeli strike on
Iran - Jerusalem Post
(2) Murdock's The Australian: Peres 'I stopped
Netanyahu from attacking
Iran, and you can talk about it when I'm
(3) RT (Russia Today): ‘I stopped Netanyahu from catastrophic attack on
Iran’ – Peres' statement concealed ‘til death
(4) UK Telegraph: Peres
claims from beyond the grave that he stopped
Netanyahu from attacking
(5) Pakistan: Deceased Israeli statesman Shimon Peres stopped attack on
(1) Peres: I stopped an Israeli strike on Iran - Jerusalem
bombshell: I stopped an Israeli strike on Iran
If not for Shimon Peres’s intervention,
Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu was planning to bomb Iran, the former
confidentially to The Jerusalem Post over two years
In a meeting at the Peres Center for Peace in Jaffa on August 24,
Peres dropped the bombshell in a conversation with me and Jerusalem
Managing Editor David Brinn.
I have thought long and hard about
whether to publish it, and reached
the conclusion that he wouldn’t have told
us if he didn’t want us to.
I was editor-in-chief of The Jerusalem Post
at the time and had
established a close relationship with Peres, who had
retired a month
earlier as president.
During the course of the
conversation (in which just the three of us sat
and chatted over coffee),
Brinn asked Peres what he considered the
greatest achievement of his
presidency. He responded by saying that he
had personally intervened to stop
Netanyahu from ordering a preemptive
strike on Iran’s nuclear
The following is based on my notes:
Peres: I stopped
Netanyahu from attacking Iran.
Me: Can you tell us more?
don’t want to go into details, but I can tell you that he was
launch an attack and I stopped him. I told him the consequences
"Can we report this?" I asked.
"When I’m dead,"
Peres replied, with a wry smile.
Almost a year later, on June 7, 2015, I
moderated a security panel at
The Jerusalem Post Fourth Annual Conference in
New York in which Senior
Contributing Editor Caroline B. Glick got into a
heated argument with
former IDF chief Lt.-Gen. (res.) Gabi Ashkenazi and the
director Meir Dagan, charging that they had refused an order
Netanyahu to prepare for an attack against Iran.
In 2010, Glick
said, citing a report from the investigative journalism
TV program Uvda, "we
learned that two of the gentlemen on this panel
were given an order to
prepare the military for an imminent strike
against Iran’s military
installations and they refused."
While pointedly not denying that the
order had been given, Dagan
insisted: "It was an illegal order. We were
always willing to obey any
legal order by the prime minister. We never
refused an order."
"You were ordered by the security cabinet," Glick
"You were not there. You don’t know what happened there," said
"There was never a decision about it," Ashkenazi
added, although he
acknowledged that he had opposed a unilateral Israeli
strike on Iran.
At the Herzliya Conference the following day, Maariv
Caspit raised the issue with Peres.
[Glick] wasn’t there! How would she know?" Peres raged.
"These are issues
that should be discussed in the cabinet, not in the
media and not in
"Peres had good reason to be angry," Caspit later wrote on the
Al-Monitor media site. "He was one of the key players in that drama,
which played out between the summer of 2009 and the summer of 2011.
These were some of the tensest times for Israel’s defense establishment.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and defense minister Ehud Barak were
pushing ahead with their plans to attack Iran, while the IDF, headed by
Ashkenazi, and the heads of the other defense establishments opposed the
move. Ashkenazi and Dagan had the support of none other than the
president at the time, Peres, who joined their efforts to thwart the
Was it in fact Peres, the architect of Israel’s nuclear
ultimately foiled an Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear sites? He
so, although he didn’t say how he did it.
(2) Murdock's The
Australian: Peres 'I stopped Netanyahu from attacking
Iran, and you can talk
about it when I'm dead'
Oct 1, 2016, 1:20 AM
Former Israeli president Shimon
Peres, who died on Wednesday at the age
of 93, told the Jerusalem Post two
years ago that current Israeli Prime
Minister Benjamin Netanyahu " was ready
to launch an attack" on Iran,
and "I stopped him."
Peres, speaking to
the Post’s Steve Linde and David Brinn in a meeting
at the Peres Center for
Peace in Jaffa on August 24, 2014, apparently
said he didn’t want to go into
details about the conversation he had had
stipulated that the Post could not report on the incident until
after he was
In 2011, Netanyahu and his defence minister at the time, Ehud
were actively building their case to attack Iran by forcefully
that the Islamic Republic was developing a nuclear bomb.
next spring, at most by next summer at current enrichment rates,
have finished the medium enrichment and move on to the final
Netanyahu said at a UN General Assembly meeting in 2012. "From
only a few months, possibly a few weeks before they get
uranium for the first bomb."
The Israeli Defence Force and members of
Israeli’s defence establishment
opposed Netanyahu’s plans to strike Iran
first, however. So did Peres.
"It is now clear to us that we cannot go it
alone," Peres said in an
interview with an Israeli news outlet in 2012,
referring to Netanyahu’s
desire to attack Iran.
"We can forestall it;
therefore it’s clear to us that we have to work
together with America. There
are questions of coordination and timing,
but because of the nature of the
danger, we are not alone," he added then.
A secret cable written by
Israel’s intelligence leaked that year further
conveyed the dissent brewing
within Netanyahu’s own establishment. Iran
was "not performing the activity
necessary to produce weapons," the
administration intervened shortly after Israel’s lieutenant
Ashkenazi visited, Washington and relayed Netanyahu’s
plans to attack Iran,
which Ashkenazi opposed (with Peres’ agreement,
according to the
Obama — who was in the beginning phases of negotiating his
nuclear deal with Iran at the time — sent the vice chairman of the
Joint Chiefs of Staff, Adm. James Winnefeld, to Israel to pressure
officials not to follow through with an attack. The move infuriated
Netanyahu and contributed to the leaders’ still-tense
Netanyahu was ultimately overruled — but if what Peres said
is true, he
apparently had more to do with deterring an attack on Iran than
Israel’s defence establishment or the United States.
(Russia Today): ‘I stopped Netanyahu from catastrophic attack on
Peres' statement concealed ‘til death
‘I stopped Netanyahu from catastrophic attack on Iran’ – Peres'
concealed ‘til death
Published time: 1 Oct, 2016 00:47 Edited time: 1
Oct, 2016 02:15
In a statement that was not to be made public until his
former Israeli President told Jerusalem Post he stopped PM
Netanyahu from a "catastrophic" military strike against Iran, at
time the world leaders were engaged in nuclear deal talks.
tension, Israel vs Iran
Israel has been the most ardent critic of Iran’s
nuclear program for
decades, viewing Tehran’s progress in this sphere as a
direct threat to
Israel and regional security. For years the country has
P5+1 negotiations on Iran’s nuclear future.
Netanyahu’s cartoon of a nuclear bomb which he presented to the
Assembly in September 2012 certainly grabbed the world’s
incessantly talked about "red lines" for Iran's
nuclear development, four
years ago he literally drew one across the
bomb to illustrate the point at
which the international community should
take decisive action. Netanyahu set
his literal red line at the 90
percent threshold of uranium
Up until P5+1 (China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom, the
States, plus Germany) announced the agreement with Iran in July 2015,
limit the country’s nuclear development in exchange for sanction relief,
Israel was threatening to take unilateral action against Tehran.
day after the funeral of Shimon Peres, Jerusalem Post published the
president’s revelation which was shared with the publication two
revealing that he was solemnly responsible for stopping
With this revelation, it seems that plans to attack
Iran at the time were
not just empty threats.
The conversation between Peres and Jerusalem Post
Managing Editor David
Brinn took place at the Peres Center for Peace in
Jaffa on August 24,
2014. During the exchange, Brinn asked Peres what he
would consider the
greatest achievement of his presidency (2007-2014), to
which the elderly
president responded by saying that he had personally
intervened to stop
Netanyahu from attacking Iran’s nuclear
Brinn, in a JP article, published some notes from that
which quoted Peres as saying:"I stopped Netanyahu from
"I don’t want to go into details, but I can tell you
that he was ready
to launch an attack and I stopped him. I told him the
be catastrophic," Peres was quoted as saying.
asked by the publication if they have his permission to report on
Peres replied: "When I’m dead."
After suffering a stroke, Peres died on
September 28, 2016, near Tel
Aviv, allowing his years-long claim to be made
While details of the possible strike were not shared by the
president, the attack could potentially have followed the blueprint
Operation Opera, which was a surprise Israeli air strike on June 7 1981,
that destroyed an Iraqi nuclear reactor under construction 17 kilometers
southeast of Baghdad.
(4) UK Telegraph: Peres claims from beyond the
grave that he stopped
Netanyahu from attacking Iran
Peres claims from beyond the grave that he stopped Netanyahu from
30 September 2016 o 4:43pm
Shimon Peres claimed in a secret
interview two years before his death
that he intervened to stop Benjamin
Netanyahu from launching airstrikes
against Iran which could have triggered
a wider Middle East war.
Mr Peres, who died this week and was buried
Friday at a funeral attended
by dozens of world leaders, told the Jerusalem
Post shortly after
leaving the presidency in 2014 that he had worked to
Netanyahu’s plans to target Iranian nuclear facilities.
stopped Netanyahu from attacking Iran," he said, when asked what he
considered his greatest achievement as president.
"I don’t want to go
into details, but I can tell you that he was ready
to launch an attack and I
stopped him. I told him the consequences would
the newspaper asked if it could make his comments public, the
smiled and replied: "When I’m dead."
The claim from beyond the grave was
published hours before Mr Netanyahu
offered a fulsome tribute at Mr Peres’s
funeral, praising a man who he
once defeated in a 1996 election and rowed
with when Mr Peres was president.
"It is no secret that Shimon and I were
political rivals, but over time
we became friends, close friends," Mr
Netanyahu said. Addressing the
dead statesman directly, the prime minister
said: "I loved you. We all
love you. Be at peace, Shimon, dear friend, great
It is widely known that Mr Netanyahu favored striking Iran
President Barack Obama’s first term in office but his reasons for not
going ahead with the attack are murkier.
Various former officials
have claimed that the head of the Mossad,
Israel’s spy agency, and the head
of the armed forces both refused to
prepare plans for an attack, believing
it would end in disaster.
Other sources have said that Mr Netanyahu’s
cabinet colleagues balked at
the idea and refused to support him or that
pressure from the White
House forced him to change course. peres Barack
Obama stands by Shimon
Peres's coffin Credit: ABIR SULTAN
Barak, who was then defence minister, has hinted that Mr Peres
played a part
in scuppering the plans. "There was resistance to taking
action in Iran
within our defence establishment, within the government –
in the President’s
Residence," he told an interviewer in 2015.
Mr Netanyahu’s office did not
respond to a request for comment about the
Obama used his eulogy speech to challenge Israel to
continue Mr Peres’s work
towards "the unfinished business of peace".
"This work is in the hands of
Israel’s next generation - in the hands of
Israel’s next generation and its
friends. Like Joshua, we feel the
weight of responsibility that Shimon
seemed to wear so lightly. But we
draw strength from his example," Mr Obama
Attendees at the funeral including Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian
president, who came under fire from many of his own people for going but
said he wanted to honour Mr Peres’s "brave" work on peace
Prince Charles sat with Mr Peres’s family wearing a yarmulke, the
traditional Jewish skullcap, emblazoned with the three white feathers of
the heraldic badge of Wales. David Cameron and Bill Clinton among guests
at funeral of Shimon Peres Play! 00:45
Successive British governments
have barred the royals from traveling to
Israel or the occupied West Bank
because of the fraught politics, making
exceptions only for funerals and
visits to family graves.
Prince Charles last stepped foot in Jerusalem in
1995 for the funeral of
the assassinated prime minister Yitzhak Rabin and
Jews have called for the royals to begin making regular
trips to Israel.
"The firmly held views of British Jews is that, having
visit of Prince Charles to Israel for two funerals, we now
that he would come for a happy occasion and a proper royal
Jonathan Arkush, the President of the Board of
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, attended the funeral
David Cameron and Tony Blair, who sat behind the row of current
leaders. All wore black yarmulkes of mourning.
Deceased Israeli statesman Shimon Peres stopped attack on Iran
Israeli statesman Shimon Peres stopped attack on Iran
Shimon Peres, the former Israeli president and prime minister who
on Wednesday at 93, "stopped" Benjamin Netanyahu from launching an
attack on Iran.
"I stopped Netanyahu from attacking Iran," Peres was
reported as telling
Steve Linde, then-editor-in-chief of the Jerusalem Post,
August 24, 2014 conversation. Peres stipulated in his interview
exchange between the two not be reported until after his
Former Israeli president Shimon Peres dies at 93
Netanyahu and his defence minister Ehud Barak were actively
case to attack Iran, saying the Islamic Republic was
developing a nuclear
bomb. "By next spring, at most by next summer at
current enrichment rates,
[Iran] will have finished the medium
enrichment and move on to the final
stage," Netanyahu told the UN
General Assembly in 2012. "From there, it’s
only a few months, possibly
a few weeks before they get enough enriched
uranium for the first bomb."
World leaders gather for funeral of Israeli
ex-PM, Shimon Peres
Shimon Peres, Israeli Defence Force and members of
establishment opposed Netanyahu’s plans to strike Iran
first. A secret
cable written by Israel’s intelligence leaked that year
the dissent brewing within Netanyahu’s own establishment.
Iran was "not
performing the activity necessary to produce weapons," the
The Obama administration intervened shortly after a senior
Israel’s defence establishment visited Washington and disclosed
Netanyahu’s plans to attack Iran. President Obama — who was in the
initial phases of negotiating his landmark nuclear deal with Iran at the
time — sent the vice chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff of the
time to Israel to pressure officials not to follow through with an
Abbas, Netanyahu shake hands at Peres funeral
left Netanyahu infuriated and contributed to the tense
relationship the the
two leaders continue to share to date. Netanyahu
was ultimately overruled.
And if what Peres said is true, he apparently
did more to deter an attack on
Iran than either Israel’s defence
establishment or the US.
article originally appeared on The Jerusalem Post.